Thursday, June 7, 2012

This is now my home.

A little sleep can make a world of difference. I woke up that morning and already felt refreshed...even though I didn't get as much sleep as I wanted. Little sleep was a theme I needed to get adjusted to quickly.

After my first cafeteria meal, I walked to my first class of the summer semester. Oh, yeah...that's right. I went to London to study. Got it. Jokes aside, I really was excited for this class. I really do enjoy my major and International Public Relations sounded just as interesting. I was excited to expand my view of the industry and the career I will soon begin. On our first day, we had a guest speaker from Kaizo. I was enamored by the deep detailed look at social media and how it's affecting the world today. I love social media and love that it's becoming a major factor for all industries. I strongly believe it's a great tool of power and influence. The lecture reaffirmed and strengthened my previous beliefs.

Class ended a few hours later and I eventually made my way back out to the city. A new friend, Cassie, and I started off the journey by walking around the park surrounding Regent's College. The willow trees, swans, bridges, ponds and greenery were all breathtaking.

We followed one of the paths over a bridge to Baker Street. Our college was right near the Baker Street stop on the Underground. We spent time talking and discovering little restaurants, shops and sites. We found a few pubs, italian restaurants, movie theaters, parks and a Sherlock Holmes museum. This walk around Regent's Park and Baker Street rejuvenated my broken soul. I loved walking around, just discovering new things and acquainting myself with the area I called my new home. Why waste my time in it being sad and homesick? This was my new home. I was living in London. There was no need to continue on with the tears from yesterday. It was a new day and I was going to make the best of my time here in London. I had so much to look forward to!


After our walk, we reunited with some other classmates at a nearby pub called "The Globe." They were all standing around a tall table with drinks already. They had tall glasses filled with fruit and what I thought was tea. They let me know that they all ordered a british alcoholic beverage called Pimm's. It looked good and it was unique to the area so I decided to give it a go. I'm only 20 so this was my first alcoholic beverage and I'm glad it was. It was as good as it looked. The only bummer was that I knew I couldn't find it back in the States.

We finished our drinks and shared laughter over our horror-like travel stories. Yep. Things were definitely turning around for the better. I was enjoying a drink with friends at a pub in London. Life couldn't be better, right? 


We all went our separate ways once again when the glasses emptied out. Another classmate, Elizabeth decided to join us, though. We weren't quite ready to go back to the dorms and our stomachs were growling. We decided to find a nice spot for dinner. We headed back on the path that Cassie and I took earlier in the evening to rediscover cool restaurants we saw earlier. We came across an interesting pub and decided to try it out. We sat down on a couch near the bar and I was already eyeing the macaroni and cheese dish on the menu. We sat for fifteen minutes and posed for a photo before realizing that it was 9 p.m. and the kitchen was closed. Defeated and still hungry, we got up in search for another restaurant.

We found a little Italian restaurant named Zizzi's that I had earlier stopped to take a picture of. Its sign said "y'all" (one of my favorite words) and it reminded me of home. I thought this just had to be a great place. The kitchen was open and we were happy. We had a great time talking, laughing and ordering glasses of risotto (inside joke). Goat cheese and spinach ravioli finally made its way to my table to ease the growling of my stomach. This meal was hands down the best italian meal of my life. I know Cassie and Elizabeth enjoyed their risotto as well. It was my first real meal in London and I was impressed.


Goat cheese spinach ravioli from Zizzi's
Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed the company, the food and my first real day in London. It was the first time so far on the trip where I truly felt happy. It was a lovely ending to a lovely day. The homesickness was gone at last. I was in a city that I've always dreamed about being in. I was in it and I was ready to enjoy every second.


I raised my glass that night to new friends, new experiences and many more happy days to come. Cheers!




No comments:

Post a Comment